Started June 2, 2009 - Build time 34 Hours
I started building last night by reading through the first section of the manual (You will find that you need to read every little word more than once or you will have an Oops!)
The very first thing is to cut the spar caps. Not a very difficult job but for a first step it is very never racking. Oh well, needs to be done.
Only in the first stage and already sick of putting in, taking out, putting back in, taking out, deburring, reassemble, etc. I am going to need some more patients.
After assembling the rear spar, the rest went pretty quick. Lots of satisfaction when you see something that actually looks like a plane part.
Notice all those cleco's with the skin attached. Probably do not need to put one in every hole but I did.
One thing to make sure is done when applying the out skin is to round off the the flanges on the front part of the nose ribs or you will come to find a small dent protruding from the skin. I did round mine and still had a small outward dent from the middle rib. Some to pay a close attention to. This is not in the manual but should be.
The next step was to take all the pieces back apart to deburr, countersink and dimple the skin and inner skeleton. There is one picture of the inner workings taken when I was taking it back apart.
After that boring task, I was finally ready for getting everything primed. Started out with using Alumiprep on all pieces, washed with water and then immediately applied alodine. (have to say I do like the nice gold finish it leaves). I then let cure overnight before applying the Azko primer. I used a fairly cheap HLVP gun with .8 nozzle and it worked perfectly.
It will be a couple of days and I can start putting in my first rivets. I bit nervous about this step and will have to do some practice first.
The couple of days turned into a couple of weeks. Finally go to start putting in some rivets. They started out a bit slow but now that I have done a few, am getting a bit better at it. It is nice to see something coming together that looks like a plane piece.
Finally Finished my first piece. Certainly a great feeling to get some accomplishment. Now that I am starting to understand the process and learn to read a few steps ahead before doing anything, it should start coming together a bit quicker.